Saturday, November 30, 2013

'Frozen' Movie Review


When Frozen was just bouncing around as word of mouth, I was curious. When the teaser trailer was released, I had my doubts and seemed like it could be a flop. When the official trailer came out, I started to have some hopes for it but was still a bit on edge about this movie; I didn't really have high expectations for this movie. But, of course, being the Disney fan I am, I had to go see it and, boy, was I glad I went! 
The beginning of the movie was absolutely adorable and showed the chemistry between the Anna and Elsa right away, however, due to Elsa's snow powers, the two became distant. Eventually, something pushed Elsa to the edge and her powers got out of control and she runs away. Though, Anna, goes on a journey to try to convince her sister to come back and to unfreeze their kingdom. 

The Characters:
The characters in this film were well developed and definitely had great chemistry with one another. I admire Disney for putting Anna and Elsa in the spotlight, leaving the males in this movie as secondary characters. I know many people have complained about Anna looking like Rapunzel from Tangled, but watching the movie, they definitely have their differences in both appearance and personality. Sure, they have the same shaped head, round eyes, but if you watch the film, it's not a big deal at all.
Anna is the protagonist, and even though Elsa is the one responsible for covering Arundel in winter and Anna's loneliness, she isn't exactly the antagonist. 

As for the males, Kristoff and Hans, there was no resemblance of Flynn Ryder anywhere; even in personality. I'm relieved that they made Kristoff not have so much of a "Prince Charming" look, if you catch my drift. He was more bigger, had a thicker body, bigger nose, and hey! He wasn't a prince! Olaff, the talking snowman, was hilarious!! Actor, Josh Gad, did a splendid job playing the voice of this lovable snowman. When he appeared in the trailers, I thought of him as possibly being annoying, but, I was truly wrong! I loved his character and his love for summer and likes giving warm hugs! He was an enjoyable side kick and does a great job as a comedic relief for the young ones who may feel the story may be too much. 

The Music
The musical numbers in this film were outstanding and with the voice of the wonderful Idina Menzel, I felt like I was watching a live play on broadway. Idina Menzel, who plays the voice of Elsa, played Elphaba  from Broadway's Wicked. She also played in Rent, Disney's Enchanted and in Glee as Shelby Corcoran. 
My favorite songs are "Let It Go" and "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" duet by Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell. I love the overlapping of the two singing! It gives me the chills (Ha! See what I did there)? The songs overall, were catchy, filled with incredible emotion, and were even comedic. Most of all, they are memorable. 
Also, the score was composed by Christophe Beck who composed movies for Percy Jackson: & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Disney's Paperman, and more! 

The Story
This movie was based off of the Snow Queen, for those of you who don't know. The Snow Queen was written by Hans Christian Anderson and if you want to read the story, you can find it online. Disney's version was different, of course, but it was told in it's own style, yet, it still kept some of the features from the original story.

The story does a great job focusing on the importance of siblings/sisters. I don't have a sister so I can't really relate to the movie so much, however, I do have a brother. Though, but I think it's a great plot about sisters; about always being there for one another no matter what. I think this story can be an empowerment for women and young girls of any age. 

CGI, Art, & Design
The landscape design for the movie was stunning! The design for kingdom, Arundel, in the summer, the snow, the CGI with Elsa and her snow powers were breathtaking. I hear it's even more lovely in 3D! The design of the characters costumes were gorgeous and if I ever want to dress up as a Disney character, I'd probably dress up as Elsa in her beautifully shimmering dress she changes into while singing "Let It Go".  
The design of Anna and Elsa were greatly detailed; I mainly speak of their freckles. I absolutely love freckles and I have freckles, and so, seeing these two girls with freckles, it made me giggle. 

Overall
I've been reading reviews online and people have been saying that Disney's Frozen is the BEST since The Lion King. Keep in mind, people are saying NOT saying "better than". They are saying "best since". There's a difference. After watching this movie, I can agree! I enjoyed this movie much more than Tangled and The Princess and the Frog. Don't get me wrong, those movies are good, but Frozen was GREAT; it was great enough to put it on my top 5 favorite Disney movies. 

I've learned a lot from Frozen, such as love doesn't just suddenly appear, "True Love" has other meanings, and more (I don't want to give away too much). This was definitely different for Disney because it's not your typical princess movie, which is what I love about this film. Elsa and Anna focus on family rather than romance and are indeed Disney heroines! I got a lot more of emotion watching this film and Disney has outdone themselves and has thawed my frozen heart by proving that they've still got the magic. Bravo! 

I give Disney's Frozen a 5/5!! 

What did you think of the film? Did you love it? Hate  it? Thought it was just OK?
I'm curious to hear your review! Leave a comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment