Monday, November 18, 2013

Disney Pixar's film about Dia de los Muertos




I was browsing through Pixar's website, looking for dates for Pixar in Concert, when I came across their upcoming film projects. They've listed info about their movie, Inside Out, which I blogged about on August 14th, and then I saw they are going to make a movie about the Mexican holiday, Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). For those who do not know what Dia de los Muertos is, it's a Mexican holiday that focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. People go to cemeteries to be with the souls that had passed away and build altars that contain their favorite foods, beverages, and even photos of the departed. The day starts on Oct. 31st and ends on Nov. 2nd. 

(Concept Art)

The film is currently untitled but it will be directed by Lee Unkrickh (Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Toy Story 2, & Toy Story 3). The official plot is unknown for now, however, according to my sources, there has been some outrage about the upcoming film, due to the fact that Disney tried to trademark the holiday. The reason being was to "protect the potential title for our film and related activities." However, due to the offense, Disney decided to withdraw and leave it alone.

I'm glad Disney didn't trademark the holiday; I think it's absolutely absurd and a horrible idea to do so, but I'm sure Disney Pixar can find a inventive title for the movie. Besides that fact, I think the idea for this Disney Pixar film about Dia de los Muertos is outstanding...if done correctly. So far, I think it's wonderful that they want to create a movie on mexican culture. I'm not saying it's going to be perfect, because when it comes down to Disney and cultures, the outcome has both its pros and cons. People love to nit-pick the negatives and racial stereotypes in Disney movies, and I fear that's what may happen for his new project.

What do you think about Disney Pixar doing a movie about Dia de los Muertos?

Read the other sources for more info about the upcoming Dia de los Muertos Project:



No comments:

Post a Comment