Friday, January 10, 2014

Disney's Polynesian Princess



Hello, ladies and gentleman! I would like to proudly inform you that Disney is making another princess movie! Woo! She's a Polynesian Princess, by the name of Moana Waialiki. According to IMDb and The Huffington Post, she is a Polynesian sea-voyager, navigator, and of course, a chief's daughter. She will go a mysterious and adventurous journey to help her family and will encounter demi-gods and spirits from actual historical mythologies. It will take place 2000 years ago in South Pacific. Also, like most Disney films, this will be a musical, and Mark Mancina will be the composer along with Dave Metzger who will collaborate and develope the film's score.  

(Concept Art from Disney's Moana)


Moana will be directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, who've worked on other Disney films such The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, & The Princess and the Frog. Also, this movie will be a computer-animated film, according to Huffington Post, who also stated that they considered taking the hand drawn art/digital technique that was applied to the short Paperman. However, Musker and Clements said that there were still too many complications to the techinque (like adding color) and it was still too early to apply it. Aw, too bad. I actually think the technique would look great for the film's landscaping/setting. But, I'm sure, the two will do just fine without it.

My knowledge on Polynesian culture is quite low. The only thing I know about Polynesian culture is the dancing. Two years ago, I took Polynesian dancing and Oh, my word, it was lots of fun! I love the movements of the hips, yet the secret to moving the hips is actually in the knees. I love the music and the instruments used and I'm excited to see how Disney will pull this off!

The release is set for 2018, so we'll have to wait a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment